Are you Eligible to Write the CFP Examination?
Standard Route to CFP Certification:
- Timing: You must have successfully completed an FPSC-Approved Capstone course within the past four years.
- Documentation: You’ll need an official transcript from your educational institution indicating your successful completion of all courses, but there is no need to submit your transcript until after you’ve registered for the exam. Please upload your transcript to your FPSC Portal no later than one month before the exam.
- Rewrites: If you’re rewriting the exam, you don’t need to submit supporting documentation.
Fast Track with Relevant Qualifications:
- Exemptions: If you hold the Pl. Fin. from Quebec or a CFP credential from an FPSB Member in another territory, you may qualify for exemption from an FPSC-Approved Capstone Course under Routes to CFP Certification.
- Documentation: You’ll need a letter from your governing professional body confirming your qualifications and good standing, but there is no need to submit this until after you’ve registered for the exam. Please upload your letter to your FPSC Portal no later than one month before the exam.
You’ll be asked to select your preferred exam location city on the CFP examination application. FPSC will strive to accommodate your first selection of exam location, but in the event that seats are no longer available due to capacity limitations, your backup location will be assigned. In the rare event that your first and second choice locations are full, an alternate exam location will be proposed to you. To see a list of cities where the exam will take place, please refer to the Guide to FPSC Examinations.
Preparing to Write the Exam
The CFP Examination Practice Exam is the ideal study tool to help ensure success in the exam. It lets you experience how the exam looks and feels as it provides feedback on your performance. Visit our FPSC Study Toolkit for the CFP Examination page for more tips and tools to get ready for the CFP examination.