CFP® professionals and FPSC Level 1® Certificants in Financial Planning have an ongoing obligation to ensure that their knowledge and competence remains current. To renew certification, CFP professionals must attest to completing 25 hours of Continuing Education (CE) activities each year, while FPSC Level 1 certificants must attest to 12 hours per year.
FPSC-approved CE Activities have been reviewed to ensure that they meet FPSC requirements. FPSC-approved CE Credits are the Continuing Education activities of choice for CFP professionals and FPSC Level 1 certificants, providing assurance that CE activities will count toward the annual requirement to maintain certification.
Become an FPSC-Approved CE Provider
FPSC's CE Approval Program is a unique and valuable opportunity for CE providers to proactively and confidently promote FPSC-approved CE Activities that meet the needs and expectations of Canada's CFP professionals and FPSC Level 1 certificants.
Benefits for providers include:
- FPSC promotion of approved activities to Canada’s 17,000 CFP professionals and over 1,200 FPSC Level 1 certificants;
- Instant recognition of advertised CE activities with FPSC’s CE credit logo;
- Convenient online application and tracking of CE activities on our CE Provider Portal;
- Inclusion in the FPSC-Approved CE Search Tool, where CFP professionals and FPSC Level 1 certificants can easily find FPSC-Approved CE activities; and
- Opportunity for feedback from CFP professionals and FPSC Level 1 certificants about CE activities.
NEW: Your Opportunity to Develop Ethics CE for the Professional Responsibility Category
FPSC announced that effective January 1, 2015, CFP professionals and FPSC Level 1 certificants will be required to complete a minimum of 1 hour of Continuing Education (CE) in the Professional Responsibility category each year. Read more about how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity here.
Other Opportunities for CE Providers
FPSC has a number of qualifying CE categories to offer more opportunities for FPSC-approved CE Activity. Now you can submit CE for approval under the following categories:
- Financial Planning: Knowledge related to one or more aspects of the CFP Professional Competency Profile, including financial planning, professional skills and technical knowledge.
- Professional Responsibility: Professional responsibility must focus on the practical application, rather than direct knowledge, of the Standards of Professional Responsibility for CFP Professionals and FPSC Level 1 Certificants in Financial Planning.
- Practice Management: Knowledge and skills used in building professional relationships and growing a professional practice.
- Product Knowledge: Financial planning product knowledge that planners may use to advise, sell or comment on products held by their clients.
- Giving Back: Knowledge and skills that come from volunteering with community organizations, industry associations, charitable groups or others in a way that helps Canadians understand the importance of financial planning and/or enhances their financial well-being.
If you offer Continuing Education in any of these areas, don’t miss the opportunity to have your courses FPSC-approved – a vital assurance for CFP professionals completing CE credits in all CE categories.